Thursday, October 29, 2020

Oops!

 


Why did I do that? Boredom? Stupidity?

Whatever reason, I was cruising the Internet for answers to silly questions and came across the term “Credit Score”.

I never knew (and still don’t know) my “Credit Score”.

I figured at one time I had a “Credit Score” when I barely had two coins to rub together but somehow I got a mortgage, loans and credit cards.

I figured now I must have a good “Credit Score” because all my loans are paid off, all my credit cards are paid off and my mortgage is paid off.

I figure when I get mail and phone calls to increase my credit amount or get an additional credit card or request for home equity or second mortgage loans that my “Credit Score” must be OK.

Still curiosity won over my common sense.

As I recalled there were 3 sites that gave your “Credit Score” for free. I found one and clicked on the link.

I read through all the information and there was no cost indicated so I started filling out the forms. Name, address, email, phone and then it asked for social security number.

They have to have some reference to check your “Credit Score” against some universal database, but I don’t give out my social security number. I don’t give out my bank account number or my credit card pin number either.

The federal and state government knows where to deposit my tax returns and I suppose all the companies I mail my checks to have a copy of my bank account number. Amazon knows my credit card number but it is only the one will a small line of credit and the balance is paid off immediately and not used for several months to maintain a 0 balance.

My better mind kicked in and I backed out of the questionnaire and moved on. I didn’t need to know my “Credit Score” anyway.

Oops!

Almost immediately the phone started to ring. There was that robo-call pause before a voice came on giving the spiel. First I couldn’t understand what the person was saying and then realized it was Spanish. No te entiendo.

Click.

Then the phone rang again. It was a different number but the same message.

Click.

Then the phone rang again.

Click.

Ring.

Click.

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

Text message.

No comprendo. I can’t read Spanish either.

There was a pause and then my number came up again.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

You have a voice mail message.

Call my account, plug in my password, press #1 to hear my message and there he was again mumbling into my ear.

Erase.

Then wait.

I check the email account I listed and sure enough, there was a pile of credit offers.

Like all the calls I get for window replacement offers for my brand new windows or extended warranty on my none existent car, they will stop.

I’ve been lucky to avoid all the political calls and the mailings can be easily torn up, but this reminds me not to follow the trail of seeds.

Turn this box off and go pick up a book. It may tempt you but it won’t call you at 8 o’clock in the morning.

No comments: