Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Skeptical Times

 



A person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual is a skeptic.

 

A person who maintains a doubting attitude, as toward values, plans, statements, or the character of others is a skeptic.

 

A person who doubts the truth of a religion, especially Christianity, or of important elements of it is a skeptic.

 

In these times of doubtful resources, fact checks, dubious statements and fake news, one cannot be sure what is real and what is not.

 

A Cynic is a person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative. I’m not that person.

 

I research stories on several sources then decide if I wish to believe it. I try to avoid opinion reviews but it is unavoidable. I seek the origin of the story or watch the video live, but even that maybe manipulated.

 

I don’t believe I have any strong beliefs that would get me to walk the streets or even sign a petition. The upcoming vote is still a crap-shoot but I will place my X in the box of who I feel might be the best. Time will tell.

 

I will ask questions. The answers will be considered but not always accepted. Perhaps working in advertising has numbed me to propaganda and persuaded promises.

 

Tomorrow night will be the final debate with the winner running the country for four years. There is no winner for they don’t get scores and have a referee raise one hand. People have to listen and decide for themselves, with preconceived conclusions or amazed wonderment.

 

Debate is a process that involves formal discussion on a particular topic. In a debate, opposing arguments are put forward to argue for opposing viewpoints. Debate occurs in public meetings, academic institutions, and legislative assemblies. It is a formal type of discussion, often with a moderator and an audience, in addition to the debate participants.

Logical consistency, factual accuracy and some degree of emotional appeal to the audience are elements in debating, where one side often prevails over the other party by presenting a superior “context” or framework of the issue. In a formal debating contest, there are rules for participants to discuss and decide on differences, within a framework defining how they will do it.

 

Don’t expect anything like a William F. Buckley vs. Gore Vidal debate.
Debaters in court must have their facts and have full capacity to answer any question in a calm and respectful manner.

 

Not sure tomorrow nights ‘Donnie and Joey’s Show’ will be anything but loquacious fodder for the pundits to spin the next day, but I’ll watch from beginning to end.

 

Who knows? I might learn something?

No comments: