Sunday, June 30, 2013

I bought a pot



No, silly, not that kind of pot. I bought a stainless steel pot. “Why?” You ask. Well I’ve been thinking about cooking. I got this brand new stove and I bought some pans but I’ve been thinking about making some stews or big meals I can refrigerate and eat over and over and over again.
Watching all those cooking shows they all seem to have this big pot to put all the ingredients in and slow cook them down before adding all the liquids. I think these are called Dutch ovens. I asked some friends about preferences of cookware and they all recommended Dutch ovens. Of course I did my usual search of the Internet and the local stores where I would probably shop for one.
I’ve got some BIG stew pots from my father’s club that would do the job, but I kept thinking about this Dutch oven. An 8-quart cast iron pot with a ceramic baked on cover. I understand the cast iron thing. My family had a cast iron frying pan. It was always on the stove. We cooked everything in it. Eggs, then hamburgers, then ham, and then who knows what with just a brief visit to the sink for a wipe out. There was probably a cake of food on that pan that was cooked before I was born. They still make these frying pans but I decided not to buy one, for now.
So I looked at the Dutch ovens and thought about making the trip to Target to pick one up, but as usual couldn’t decide what brand. Then I noticed there was a 5-quart model. So now I have to decide whether I want a BIG pot or a little pot.
It is kind’ a like watching the Tour de France and thought I ride a bicycle everyday, I’m not even getting close to these twenty something’s. They go faster than a lot of cars in my neighborhood. So when I climb on my pony and pedal to the store, I crank up the gears but it only puts more pressure on the chain rather than my heart.
Pretty darn exciting stuff, but this is what happens in the ordinary times. As it has it, I was walking through the grocery store, picking up the usual stuff to keep the critters full when I turned the corner and wandered down the aisle that holds the magazines. I stared at all the colorful covers and found no interest, but behind me was the cooking “stuff”. There is a 5-quart pot. It is stainless steel with a glass top and a price that is cheap. My mind races to constant to-do list and scans the “Dutch Oven” file. Should I wait and go to Target and look at Paula Deen’s discount “because we are dropping her” line or Rachael Ray’s pans or order on-line or keep wondering whether or not to buy one of these thing, so I pick up the pot and put it in the cart.
Once home now the stove is full of pots and pans. The best part is I can take the “Dutch oven” off my to-do list. Will this post fill my requirements? I don’t know but I can always go back and get another one. If it does then it was a cheap solution to solve my worries.
Shoot, I haven’t even fired up the grill to burn some hot dogs and hamburgers and peppers and corn yet. These pots and pans will probably stay pretty pristine until winter. I’m hoping for a nice week of snow so I can hunker down and actually cook. I’ve got a great recipe for chili but I haven’t made it in years. Then again, living by myself in a snow bank with a pile of chili might not be a great idea?
I’ve got a slow cooker that would probably do the same as a Dutch oven but cooking seems to be about utensils and procedures. A slow cooker, from what I understand, is throwing a bunch of stuff in a pot and covering it up and letting it simmer for hours. So is the Dutch oven for the same purpose but on the stovetop? Again the cooking industry has more methods and varieties and variations to burning and heating dead animals than anyone could ever imagine. Also, the aisles are filled with items that proclaim themselves as food that can be quickly prepared in the microwave.
It is time to go inside and heat up the stove and prepare the Sunday lunch including flank steak, mashed potatoes and green peas. It is still too hot to cook for long hours and no one else is around to share in the conversation of “why don’t we add this spice” or “that taste terrible”. The menu is basic as is my lifestyle but now I have a pot.
PS. You want to eat really, really good stuff? Become a crewmember of a cooking show. Now that’s a good eats.

25 comments:

Art said...

Good story sir. The advantage of a dutch oven over a slow cooker is that you can sear and saute' ingredients before you add liquid and 'slow cook'. The key is 'heft' you want that dutch oven to HOLD heat so that once hot you can reduce heat to 'super-low' and it still cooks without either losing too much heat or scorching your food. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Very good article. I will be dealing with many of
these issues as well..

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources
back to your weblog? My blog site is in the very same
niche as yours and my users would really benefit from some
of the information you provide here. Please let me know if
this alright with you. Appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I'm very pleased to discover this page. I want to to thank you for your time for this
wonderful read!! I definitely loved every bit of it and
i also have you saved as a favorite to see
new things in your website.

Anonymous said...

Now I am going away to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to read further
news.

Anonymous said...

whoah this blog is great i love studying your articles.

Stay up the great work! You know, lots of persons are hunting round for this info, you could
aid them greatly.

Anonymous said...

I have read so many content concerning the blogger lovers except this piece of
writing is actually a fastidious article, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I have read so many posts about the blogger lovers but
this piece of writing is genuinely a pleasant article, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an post he/she keeps the image of
a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it.

So that's why this post is outstdanding. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam problem on this site; I
also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; we have created
some nice practices and we are looking to swap techniques
with other folks, why not shoot me an email if interested.

Anonymous said...

These are in fact impressive ideas in about blogging.
You have touched some pleasant points here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Anonymous said...

There is certainly a lot to know about this subject.
I like all of the points you made.

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog.
A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed!
Extremely helpful information specifically the last part :) I care for such info a lot.

I was seeking this particular information for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with
us so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely loving
the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this
to my followers! Exceptional blog and superb style and design.

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post.
Also, I've shared your site in my social networks!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site
so i got here to return the want?.I'm trying to to find issues to enhance my site!I suppose its good enough to make use of some of
your concepts!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there to every body, it's my first go to see of this blog; this weblog consists of awesome and actually fine material in support of readers.

Anonymous said...

Admiring the commitment you put into your site and detailed information you present.
It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't
the same out of date rehashed material. Wonderful read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your RSS
feeds to my Google account.

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this fantastic read!! I certainly loved every
bit of it. I have got you book-marked to check out new stuff you
post…

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it
from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks
would really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your design. Kudos

Anonymous said...

I always used to read post in news papers but now as I am a user
of net so from now I am using net for posts, thanks to web.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.
I will remember to bookmark your blog and will often come back in the foreseeable future.
I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of
this site. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's tough to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and appearance.
I must say you have done a great job with this. In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Opera.

Excellent Blog!