Friday, July 12, 2013

Faerie Doors



Just read or saw or heard a wonderful story about faerie doors in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It seems this guy wrote a book about faerie doors for his daughter and the idea went bazoomie in town and these little doors started appearing everywhere.
I’ve always enjoyed children’s books. Maybe because they had lots of pictures and few words, these Dell books with the golden spine were looked at over and over again but never read. The only ones I remember from my childhood were ‘The Little Engine Who Could’ and a ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ with Mickey Mouse as Jack.
Never got into comic books and super heroes. I think by that time television took over whatever thoughts I may have wondered about as a child. Cowboys and leftover World War II stories mixed in with monsters in black and white were the images of my youth.
But I’ve always fancied the stories we feed to children. Not so much today, but the ideas of elves, pixies, gnomes, sprites, leprechauns, goblins, trolls, dwarves, and even ogres wandering about with us, hidden in the shadows or under bridges or making those bumps in the night entices the imagination.
So when I go outside and see one of these doors at the base of a tall pine, I won’t knock. I will respect their privacy just as they do mine but am just happy they are there.

No comments: