Friday, January 5, 2018

Day 5: How are those New Year’s Resolutions holding up?


While most of the people I know are snowed in and retired, there are a few poor saps that still have to dig their way out to drive on icy roads in freezing weather to an office or shop to participate in the age old adage known as “WORK!”
Sure they are young and healthy enough to make the effort and besides they still need the paycheck instead of being on the government dole. The lucky ones can work from home and call it a ‘snow day’ but don’t use a sick day. Why waste those unless you fell while shoveling in which case you better have your mother write you an excuse.
It is only day #5 of the New Year.
It is day #5 and some businesses shut down but few can afford that. Restaurants, though pressed with the extra demand of people taking ‘snow days’, make a good profit during the wintery mix. No one who has plodded through the snow is going to fuss over an overpriced alcoholic beverage.
It is day #5 and while other jobs you hope will never close, even on snow days, follow their usual routine and deadlines. You don’t want your house to be on fire because you were lighting candles for warmth and you call 911 and don’t get an answer. I personally feel for those smucks who are out there right now repairing broken water mains. Who knows where that water is coming from and who in their right mind would want to be splashing around in water in temperatures like this, but there they are. Their dedication (and hopefully padded paychecks) is keeping out toilets flushing.
It is day #5 as the wind blows the powder off my roof in the image of white smoke and I notice many in my neighborhood have not moved their vehicles. Perhaps their workplace is closed or they are telecommuting or their kids are staying home from school and instead of leaving them alone to reap havoc on the cat, their better judgment is to stay home and take an unpaid holiday (bosses love those). “Why don’t you get bundled up and make an igloo and some snow angles, then I’ll take you to the doctor?” “You want to help mom bake some burnt cookies while dad watches those naked people on the computer?” “How about you go down to Jimmy’s house and mess with his folks until around 10PM or so?”
It is day #5 and I think about how I used to work for one of those places that never closed. I’d wait for the bus that could go through most snows like a tank or sometimes trudge the five miles to only find an empty office. Even on snow days, a newspaper of some sort would be printed and though distribution was slow but like the mail would always be delivered, bringing the anxious readers a wrinkled and wet newspaper full of last weeks news. The rest of the day was applying all the layers again to repeat the journey home in the dark. Wonder where the boss was?
It is day #5 and I can sit back and enjoy my accumulation of toys and gadgets to entertain myself. Maybe the best part of ‘snow days’ is the quiet. No one is out blowing leaves or cutting the grass. Too cold for nosey neighbors to be yelling over the fences at each other and the dogs don’t want to stay out very long after doing their business spoiling the white blanket.
It is day #5 of the New Year and one will wonder how the resolutions are holding up? Is that goal of exercising and diet fading with binge movie watching under piles of blankets and those huge bags of chips you loaded up with before the storm? Is that extra bottle of wine helping you get more sleep or are you just passing out? Is the vacuum cleaner become a scarf rack? Are those healthy salads are being pushed aside for a giant pot of steamy stews and soups sopped up in freshly baked bread slattered in butter? Not to worry, you never get out of your stretch pants.
It is day #5 and this caged animal has only ventured far enough to feed those less fortunate surviving these temperatures but at least they will have full tummies. Evaluating the stockpile I see I have gotten rid (that means stuffed my face with) all the cookies and sweets given as Seasonal gifts. Last of the year for cookies/cakes/pies is my resolution but time will tell if I get a sweet urge. There are still several bottles of wine that I will rationalize as an alternate for normal exercise. Look, it is my excuse so I’m sticking with it. I think I can stretch out the critter crewe’s food for another day but then Sunday I’ll have to make the ultimate decision. Watch the weather and decide later.
It is day #5 and as I’ve said, when it gets cold (or for any crazy reason) we eat. It the cupboards are full, we will devour until they are empty. How long will it take for the pizza to get here? Since it is too early for supper and already the morning gruel has passed on and as previously noted all the snack temptations are gone what is a po’ boy to do? POPCORN!! Eureka! There is a little popcorn left from when time began and the air popper will force the little kernels to explode into a tasty treat drizzled in some oily mix and a sprinkle of ground sea salt. That will keep my mouth active so I won’t be talking to myself.
It is day #5 and most New Year resolutions (or traditions) have been to purchase a NEW coffee cup, a NEW pen and a NEW toothbrush. I haven’t seen any cups that have enticed the change in over a year, I haven’t seen any pens (and I look for I am a graphic utensil junkie) that looks and feels any better than the one I’m using to write checks and the toothbrushes are at the Tummy Temple three miles away. I guess I’ll put up with the weird grunge embedded in those plastic bushings.
It is day #5 and the sun is shining and the breeze is making the last of the bamboo dance in front of me. Mister heat is blowing hard and the water still flows. Dominion Power (the new name for Vepco) is holding up so I can wander the world and talk (type) to people I don’t even know. Now, about that popcorn….

No comments: