Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Unique


The thought for today waking up to a fuzzy head and stuffed up nose was how we are all unique.
No matter who we look or how we act or what our name is, we are all individuals unique on this planet.
Others might have the same name or wear the same clothing or even walk the same way, but each of us is unique.
That is the cool thing about life and should be appreciated.
Not to say we don’t change along the way because we do with additional experiences and readings and stuff that life throws at us. Each of us will handle it or understand it in our own way.
“Hello Roachy” “Good-bye Roachy”. Stomp.
I had an aunt Roachy, but she probably wasn’t my aunt because I think she was my grandmother’s sister. I’m not sure what that title would be? Great auntie?
Well one of the bold bugs decided to march down the hall to be squashed and I always announce the dead as “Hello Roachy”. That makes me unique.
Thinking about my critter crewe feeding the spread laid before them and wondering what the neighbors think when everyday they hear: “Come and get it. Soups on”
I don’t know where I picked that up as a call to dinner but I repeat the phrase and it seems to work.
Tonight a rabbit was hiding in the shadows as the sun set. I saw it and called out, “Blueberry time”. As I walked out on the deck and scattered the berries, the rabbit hid but then paused. “Bun Bun. Blueberry time”
Part of it is repetition or vocal intonation but it seems to work. Perhaps the smell of seed and berries bring the neighbors in but I will still announce the opening of the buffet.
Along with all the expansion of life from enclosed habitat is the appreciation of my surroundings. When trapped in covers the only cause for attention is frozen toesy and frosty coffee.
Getting back to a normal routine, even after just a few days, rewards the mind and body with experiences that could not be imagined yesterday.
My ponies serve me well and occasionally I want to thank them for always being at the ready, especially in these cold times, for they are the only escape I have. This spring they will get a good grooming.
My other thought has been about my girls. I moved them all upstairs before the freeze and worry that their coats might not surmise the chill. Each one is a unique individual with their own history and I have brought them home with me in appreciation of how precious they are. Few can hold so close to the body and place their hands on with such tender care and hear the rewards of sounds never heard before. I don’t name my girls but each has their own story.
Tomorrow will bring another alarm to awake from the darkness and each of us will find a reason to survive another day and maybe, just maybe, contribute to the common good or maybe just take up space.
That is what makes each of us unique.

No comments: