Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Somebody Said The “S” Word!!!!


So the year has started off…brisk. Chilly, as they say has been the forecast for several days so the champagne bottles are in the recycling and whatever reminders of last year went down the alley in a big truck yesterday. Thanks guys!
When the temps stay below freezing, I hibernate. Hibernation is not my forte but if the sun is shinning and it is not raining I will find something to pass the time and not crawl back under the covers.
I will still need to wander out on the frozen tundra to spread a little grub for those who can shop or pick or dig for the abundance and they seem to appreciate it. Also put out some water but it freezes. The attempt is made.
Today as the folks who stand in front of the green screen say, will be the warmest for the week. Making sure this is not some folly to get me outside in the fake weather, I check other sites and watch the number rise. I look out the window at my thermometer that is 10 degrees off but I know that.
Two days of adjusting to four walls, it will be a nice break to get back outside and get some physical exercise instead of just reading. The next few days seems I will be hibernated again but think my stores have been stocked to survive the cold. As long as Mister Heat blows up my pants leg and the H2O doesn’t turn to ice and the power stays on for light and meals, I’ll survive the cold.
If not…? Well I’ve been there before so I might get through anyway.
Once the stated degree meets my expectations, I start the process of layering. Much like the space folks do, there is a regiment of what goes on first and then the next and then the next until I’m the Stay Puff man.
The first outdoor breathe of the forest is not too bad and the sunshine is almost as bright as the past few nights under the full moon. I convince myself to enjoy the movement of stayed body parts noticing the pile of ice from the New Years Eve party dumped in the alley has not melted.
The constant motion gets the mind free of living in spider webs but not everyone is aware. Bundled in thick coats on heated seats the chauffeur’s metal machines still zip through red lights and turn without signals – Be Alert! 
This isn’t a bad ride for the wind is nil and there is no traffic to speak of until I get close to the destination.
The two entrances into the Tummy Temple are covered in ice. I pause and let all the confused drivers find their way before riding around sure disaster. As I tie up my steed I can see the traffic is picking up.
Once inside confirms my fears. It is not ‘ole folks day’ but someone has said the ‘S’ word. All the carts are missing. I weave through the crowd to the other staging area and there are no zippy-do-dah carts that I prefer. I pull out one of the dreadnaughts and steer past a golf cart wiping down with disinfectant wipes.
This cart pulls to the right and feels like pushing a trash dumpster but I’ll make it through. No faces are recognizable but there is some eye candy.
I’d made a list and checked it twice but grabbed more wine than expected due to the little bag they give you to put the bottles in have 6 slots instead of 4. I’d forgotten. There are just so many selections to have with my dinners for the week ahead but will try to stick with local and sweet.
I pick up hopefully enough grub for the family and stake out the assembly lines. It seems everyone got the ‘S’ word memo and the baskets are brimming with sugar, starch, sodium and all that other stuff you shouldn’t be putting into your mouth, especially with the New Year’s resolution of losing weight.
I find my spot in line and wait my turn while bag after bag after bag is filled and then the next bag and bag is filled. Wesley sees me and I say, “You were too busy”. The woman behind me doesn’t understand I’m a frequent flyer.
The bill is a bit more than usual but I got some high-end stuff and it will be the last payment for a week so it all equals out. I make my way back into the air and while packing my bags notice the traffic has gone beyond a hurried flow. The traffic has become the panic parade. You can see it in their faces. You can hear the horns blow. The fear of losing consumption before the possible flakes has taken over.
I calmly wait my turn on the tarmac watching the actions play out. The clouds are moving in darkening the day but still the cold has not been painful. My pony gets me home safe and sound and I reward her putting her in the stall next to her buddy. I announce the ‘banquet is open’ before stacking the stores for the next couple of days. Once inside I see the message got out.
Changing back into my snuggly clothing I pick up the post with coupons to shops I have no idea where they are, insurance for things I don’t have and the ever-present request to hear better. Tonight I will settle down before the big screen and decide what to put in my face to continue life. Some old Pink Floyd will wake the neighbors but it is not dance music.
The next couple of frosty days will be spent doing inside chores except for a brief meeting with an old colleague for he has the ability to drive a mobile machine. It has been many years so I’m sure we will have some good stories to tell.
The rest of the week Puppywoods will be closed. What will happen if the countryside becomes covered in white? The weather is out of my control but let it ‘S-word’ and we’ll find out.

No comments: