Sunday, November 1, 2020

Hello!

 


As you are fully aware of this constant phone ringing to only find there is no person on the other end but just an advertisement, enticement to purchase or persuasive message to follow some idealism of the absurd.

When the phone rings, the proper acceptable action is to pick it up the reciever (or press the button or whatever is necessary to answer the call) and say, “Hello”.

So why do we do that?

Someone has contacted ‘you’ but ‘you’ have to confirm yourself before the conversation can begin.

Why is that?

If you have contact verification or some sort of method of recognizing the caller’s identity is it really to acknowledge them with a “Hello”?

Why don’t they announce themselves and make sure the person who answered the call is ‘you’?

 

Instead you get into this “Hello” and they reply “Hello”.

A telephone is a telecommunications device that permits two or more users to conduct a conversation when they are too far apart to be heard directly. A telephone converts sound, typically and most efficiently the human voice, into electronic signals that are transmitted via cables and other communication channels to another telephone, which reproduces the sound to the receiving user. The term is derived from Greek: τῆλε (tēle, far) and φωνή (phōnē, voice), together meaning distant voice. A common short form of the term is phone, which came into use almost immediately after the first patent was issued.

Though my parents found this invention new and exciting, I settled into communicating with someone from afar by picking up a receiver and dialing 0 to ask a stranger to find the person I wanted to speak to.

I’ll not discuss pay phones.

I’ve had fun answering wrong numbers who immediately assume the person on the other end is the intended. I’ve had prolonged conversations with strangers until they figured out I was not who they expected to answer.

Most people know I have my telecommunication device off most of the time but there is a ‘leave a message here’ application that will be reviewed at a later time and a response returned or just delete.

So if you do call me and it sounds like I’ve answered, announce yourself and say my ‘name’ as the intended connection.

Otherwise you will hear silence or whatever is playing in the background as the minutes count down.

BOO!

No comments: