Wednesday, November 11, 2020

In My Community

 


A community is a social unit with commonality such as norms, religion, values, customs, or identity. Communities may share a sense of place situated in a given geographical area or in virtual space through communication platforms.

These are the people who organize bake sales. These are the people the family relies on to organize Thanksgiving dinner. These are people who volunteer to hand out doughnuts to firefighters or clean up after the marathon.

Some of these people become professionals to put out fires or transport prisoners. Some of these people work their way up the corporate ladder by offering assistance at company functions for no additional pay. Some of these people form groups to specialize their focus for their good deeds.

These people do the jobs that everyone needs but only a few steps up. These ‘do-gooders’ donate their time and money to help complete strangers.

Orphans, drug addicts, disabled, elderly, single mothers, homeless and many more get assistance from these people without a charge.

These people are giving back to their community.

Then there are those who promote themselves to assist the community. They are called ‘politicians’. They are the ones who volunteer their time to give speeches, beg for money, shake hands and kiss babies. They tout promises of a better life, but have no power to guarantee their wishes.

It is good that we have these people around. How would you pay $5 to have your car cleaned by the local football team? Could we do without those who walk door-to-door getting signatures from the neighbors to plant new trees or petition for street signs? (I don’t sign nothing)

Some of these people come from organizations formatted as religious denominations. They feel directed by a higher power to perform good deeds.

It is good that we have these people to show us the good in the world.

I don’t volunteer. I don’t join clubs or go to alumni football games. I tear up all the junk mail asking for donations to seemingly worthy causes.

I vote but do not put up any signs or march or even attend political social invitations.

I’ll do my part to keep the walkway clear and not make too much noise at night. I will pay my fair share of taxes. I will wear my mask and stay away from everyone.

Other than that, don’t call me for the barn raising.

No comments: