Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Do You Ever Hear It?

That noise behind you? You turn around and no one is there, but you know you heard it.

I normally write with headphones on and music blaring into my head, but I hear things.

Sometimes its the animals walking over my head.
Sometimes its the neighbors on their decks.
Sometimes its the wind.

And sometimes, it is a mystery sound. A feeling someone is watching. A paranoia strong enough to stop and turn around.

Is it the sound of focusing on a recording and hearing the telephone ring two stories up?

Is it the sound of people talking when there is no one there? Are they calling your name?

Is it the constant pressure of others invading your life to the point where you can not concentrate expecting someone to intrude?

Interruptions?

Tonight I realize I can harmonize in my ears with pre-recorded music. There are sounds, tracks, layers, I did not realize. That's why I keep listening. Closer. There may be more than we think we here.

And this is fascinating when you have written the piece and played every part, to hear a new sound.

A lost chord.?

No comments: