Saturday, March 7, 2009

Service?

After several trips to the grocery store to pick up 14lbs. of litter, home and a a bottle of water was in order. The temperature had risen from the mid 20's to 7o's and the sun shown above.

I read a blog from a friend about poor service from outsourced telemarketer phone conversation.

I must agree the outsourcing of service telemarketing may be dangerous in the long run due to little relevance with the problem, plus the stress of the communication connect.

Last night I tried to buy two pizzas, one with pepperoni, one with pineapple and black olives.
The black guy in the paper hat punched the buttons and said the order would be "$30+ dollars"

"What?" I said putting away the $10 I was pulling out of my wallet. The paper hat replied after looking back to the board of lighted varieties he said, "I'll change your order to a two for one! That will be $17.00".

Well that got my attention.

"You are the man" I said as I put away my credit card and opened my wallet for the bargain. I received the receipt and fist bump with a smile.

"It will be ready in about 10 minutes" he said taking my bills. "Always trying to take care of our customers" he said as I walked away.

I went to the grocery store and purchased a cola and beer packing them for the ride home.

Back at the pizza establishment, I was quickly handed two boxes and a smile. This was very good customer service.

Strapped to the bike, I ventured home with the nights delights.

Separating the boxes with veggie and meat lovers, I walked into the house to announce I had delivered the goods for the nights meal.

Yet, the box was returned to me with the wrong order. There was meat on the black olive and pineapple thin crust.

What ! How could this happen?

Could the man in the paper hat listening to my order and making a deal when I balked at paying so much for dough and cheese and tomato sauce, could he have gotten the order wrong?

I wasn't going to take the box back that night, so I ate it the next night.

I think it was more home trauma than it was worth. And it wasn't that good the second night as a cold pineapple, black olive and pepperoni thin crust pizza.

This was not communication from across the globe, but face-to-face in the eye talking. And still we did not get it right.

Scary times for the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, it's the minimum wage mentality. Don't know where you went, but if it's a chain, they're too expensive no matter the deal, because they just don't taste good.