Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Knife



Don't know it is about carrying a knife, but as long as I can remember I have. It is one of the 5 essentials I carry every day. Keys, wallet, kerchief, glasses, and a knife.

Must have started with the super knife from scouts. You know the one with a fork, spoon, bottle opener, cork screw, screw driver, saw, and several size blades. It was about 4" thick and had to be hung from the belt because it certainly fit in your pocket.

Also "West Side Story" was an influence. What better movie for New York city gangs dancing and singing in bright cloths. Great knife fight dance. Or maybe it was the "Outlaws"? Maybe it was the Indian on "Paladin" with the knife in his collar, or Jim Bowie's "Bowie" knife (had one of those monsters), maybe it was the gladiator movies with all the knives and swords.

Whatever got my attention I became fascinated with knives. All kinds, sizes, shapes. I would stop in Sears and look at the locked up glass case holding long knives, yellow fishing knives, I coveted the sharp tools.

As a youngster, I had cigar boxes full of knives. They were affordable to a young allowance, and even easier to steal. I'd open them, toss them in my hand, feel the weight, twirl them watching the light reflect off the blade. Then try another.

And everyday, there would be a knife in my pocket. I used them to cut open boxes, envelopes, string. Whenever something had to be cut, I was ready. Always prepared as the motto goes.

I learned to throw knives at summer camp. Even when I moved into this house, I would go outside in the back yard and throw knives across the grass into the ground. Then I thought the neighbors might not understand, so I stopped.

I've never and will never own a gun, because it is too impersonal a weapon. A knife, if it has to be used as a weapon, has to be used in close quarters. You have to KNOW who will receive the taste of steel.

And sharpness is the key. A ritual, much like changing guitar strings, polishing shoes, or packing a pipe, sharping a knife is an procedure that is calming and exciting at the same time. To wipe and rub a piece of steel with a wood handle over and over. Rub on a sharpening stone until it is razor sharp. (Unfortunately during the scanning I notice one of my knives needing attention. Sorry about that. It will be redeemed this weekend, I promise)

Now the knife main purpose is to cut. So go to your kitchen right now, open up those drawers that keep all the hand me down or K-Mart purchased so called knives with the dull blades you cuss at while try to tear bread into crumbs or press meat with crevices and THROW THEM AWAY.

Spend some good buck for 3, you only need 3, good sharp quality knives for the kitchen and you will be happier and the frustration will go away and the food will taste better.

While I have lots of knives in my kitchen, they are the only instrument I trust. Not the can opener, cork screw, wisp, or any other those other odd shaped things hanging on hooks. I can always rely on my knife to serve me well. And I treat them with tender care.

And they can save your life.

When I was at VCU, drawing in Monroe Park and paying attention to the girls in the sunshine, a rough looking man slowly walked up to me. He mumbled something about money or something but I didn't give him much cause. Then I saw he had a knife in his hand. Without a second thought, I reached in my jeans pocket and opened a 8" fishing knife saying, " No thanks, I already have a knife." The man backed off and faded away. I put my knife away and went back to my observation with charcoal. Later I realized he was trying to rob me.

So take care of your knives. Keep them sharp and enjoy the smooth effortless glide of a clean cut.

4 comments:

TripleG said...

"Give 'em the cold steel, boys!"
-- Stonewall Jackson

Art said...

nicely written, sir.

LoveBug said...

You scare me...

Anonymous said...

Typical redneck gut 'em before they shoot ya pro-knife National Knife Association bullshit.