Saturday, June 20, 2009

Yard Sales, Runners and Heat

The morning ride, which started at 7:30 a.m. and 75 degrees took the usual route from south to north.

The neighborhood was as normally quiet with little traffic and noise. Even the lawnmowers were silent.

Daze from the night before filtered the normal path. The breezes and the shade kept the heat in control.

My path was cluttered with early morning runners. This quiet neighborhood is a haven for running groups preparing for tournaments so I am used to the line of out of shape panting folks crossing my way. Sometimes there is eye candy, so it makes the ride more interesting.

Crossing Patterson a new phenomenon. A yard sale extravaganza was taking place. The posters said “Malvern Garden’s Community Yard Sale” and that is what is. Every block had one or two or three or several together houses displaying their “stuff” on the front lawn for the community to peruse. Metal mobile machines maneuvered in position to get a look at personal belongings laid out on the lawns.

As I waited for the mobile machines to come to rest, a man walking his dog came up to me and said, “ With everyone going broke, the good stuff is coming out. There is a golf bag over there. Titlelist for $40. Even bring out Aunt Sally’s china. What about that side board left to you by your grandfather?”

I agreed and moved on. Every block was more of the same. Plaid pants, dishes, lamps, pictures frames, and blankets. There were closet cleaning items that no one wanted, but I wondered why they did not give them to the Red Cross or Salvation Army and take the self imposed value off taxes.

It was interesting to see an entire community involved in a giant yard sale.

Finishing my morning journey I returned home to the critters enjoying their peanut butter, sunflower seed, and apples as my shirt dripped from the heat and it is only 10 a.m.

It is time for a silver bullet. It is 5 o’clock somewhere.

No comments: