Sunday, April 22, 2018

How do you like your cheesed grilled?


Probably the simplest sandwich is the grilled cheeses except you need to use heat. There are a ton of cooking instructions and variations on two-pieces of bread and a slab of cheese, but I’ll just relate my current interest.
For some unknown reason, I got a hankering for a grilled cheese sandwich. I’m not a cheese connoisseur or much of a lover for bread, but I must have seen some picture or something. On my usual walk around the Tummy Temple looking for something to grab my appetite I passed the cheese aisle with little attention. I got my usual check-off list which include soup and thought about ‘What about a grilled cheese sandwich to go along with that soup?’
First here is a brief back-story of my relationship with bread and cheese. My mother would put down a plate with a piece of Nolde’s white bread with a slice of Kraft processed American cheese. Probably the easiest and cheapest food for a kid with less work than spreading Skippy because I wanted chunky with the peanuts so I had to try and make a variation if I had to eat this. I tried mustard and relish but never had it grilled. Somewhere along the way, I did have a drippy gooey grilled sandwich in a pannier but it was accompanied with a slice of meat. Somehow I remember a connection of grilled cheese with soup as a square meal, so I decided to give it a try.
I went back to the cheese aisle full of outcaste of milk and curds and mold and I don’t want to think about it. Swiss and Gouda are my preference but I looked for the yellow stuff. I could get a block and slice it knowing full well it would turn green and fuzzy. I found the premier version of the Kraft alternative with a price to match and grabbed the plastic wrapper off the hook in the deli.
I could be a true baker and get some flour, yeast, baking powder, eggs, milk, etc or just get a loaf of pre-sliced bread. This time I avoided the white loafs to my preferred small loafs of artisan wrappers of multi-grains, whole wheat, flax seed, rye, etc. bread.
A jar of pickles, relish, mayo, mustard, hot sauce filled the basket and it was off to try and fry. Without a iron frying pan, I spread butter on my store bought pan and pulled out two thick slices of bread. As the butter sizzled I slathered butter on one side of each slice of bread. I placed the first slice, butter side down, then struggled with the cheese ‘easy open’ wrapper to place two slices of yellow wonder on the burning bread. I placed the other bread slice butter side up and waited. After a few minutes I flipped the sandwich and watched the cheese melt. When the smoke started, the heat was turned off and the creamy mess was poured onto a plate. Slice in half and devour the stringy crunchy heart stopping lunch washed down by Mexican beer.
-->

No comments: