Saturday, April 21, 2018

Spring Cleaning


Some say, “Cleanliness is next to godliness”. Anyone who knows me knows I’m spiritual but not very religious so that says something about that phrases’ reference.
So it is ‘spring’ again with all the birdies and flowers and pollen and dust and bugs and what have you and again on my ‘to-do’ list is to clean up.
It is a time when the big boy pants get rolled up and stowed away with the blankets and sweaters and high wooly socks with great enthusiasm of shoveling up the dusty snow that fell last winter, but….
There is always a ‘but’.
I’ve proven to myself my motivation to get things done are not on top of my list. If I get a chance to sweep up and vacuum and wash down walls and scrap up old paint or sit in the rocker with a cold beer and swell music watch the girls jog by? You figure it out.
No matter my best intentions when I get started with one chore I look around and see three more and they multiply before me an overwhelming zombie army. Some of this dirt has archeologist wonder what is buried under there.
Now last year I did quit a bit of outside deconstruction but inside the spiders just wove curtains in undisturbed vacant spaces.
This year’s goal is to get a couple of rooms painted and the floors redone. Oh and have three windows replaced. See what I mean?
With best intentions of a DIY project with little results, I’ve declared I’ll pay someone else to do what is not difficult and could be done with a savings, but it isn’t. In a few days, I’ll accomplish the next BIG project that may spark me (or not) to do the other rooms.
I’m a good list maker. Write down what needs to be done, do the research, get all the tools and accoutrements, start at one end, then get distracted and hire a professional who can finish a job before I can read the instructions.
My plan this year is to go room-by-room and list ALL the things that need to be done. I hoping this will simplify my thought process. If today’s project is put up blinds, then concentrate and do that task and stop. Check it off the list and achieve another project tomorrow. Sounds like a good plan to me.
Yea, but then I have to prioritize the list and correlate with other areas so not to overlap and utilize materials and time most efficiently.
Think I’ll take a nap.

No comments: