Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Friends

Someone emotionally close.
Somebody who trust and is fond of another.
Somebody who thinks well of or is on good terms with somebody else.
An ally, or somebody who is not an enemy.
A defender or supporter of a cause, group, or principle.
A patron of a charity or institution.
A member of the Religious Society of Friends, called Quakers.

Is it easy to make friends? It is easier if you walk about smiling.

Someone stops you and says, "What's so damn funny?"

The opportunity to strike up a conversation. Find a topic. Maybe make a friend.

I've grown easy with conversation and can walk into a room of strangers and walk out with a new friend. This was not always the case.

For a good portion of my early years, I had "friends" who were in my classes, "friends" who went to my club, and "friends" my parents pushed upon me. But most were acquaintances who I have lost touch with years ago.

But there was a group I met in high school who I continue to converse with every so often. I believe these guys were around me when life was changing, so they were my support group during tumultuous times. I call these guys friends in a different way.

Recently the term "friend" was used by a person I had not seen in many, many years. So I had to go back and exam what that word meant to me.

I realize I don't have any close friends today, no girl friend, no best friend, just passing people in my life. That's not bad, just a realization. Trust, companionship, ally, being amongst friends.

I've known all kinds of people, some better, some worst, but never kept a true friend.

FRIENDS (cml, 1965)
I've got a hunger in my heart, for companionship
I've got a thirst in my soul for something new
The old was good enough, but...
Friends, friend, gather round
Let me tell you of my problems today
I'm feeling blue and lonely
Then, I shall be on my way
I could have woke the whole wide world with a proclamation
I was on could #9, but all has past
As if once was enough to...
Friends, friend, gather round
Let me tell you of my problems today
I'm feeling blue and lonely
Then, I shall be on my way
My love for her was never a crime I must go now
It's a love of a man-feeling fine I walk alone now
Trying to hold the tears from my...
Friends, friend, gather round
Let me tell you of my problems today
I'm feeling blue and lonely
Then, I shall be on my way

Dedicated to: Joel Marion Dexter, David Newton Gant, Stephen Maynard Leed, Arthur Roland Spencer, and John Michael West.

1 comment:

Art said...

My good friend. My dear friend. Yes, distance, time and a lack of contact makes life complicated. I do not believe it is insurmountable. I DO believe that there is a foundation that can be built upon (and it is a foundation that I do NOT take the time or effort to build with my current (or more recent 'friends'). We went though our growing into adulthood and early adulthood helping each other. Then we lost touch for a LONG time. (and I was pissed that you disappeared)...

Things are not as they were 16 years ago. In some ways 'worse'; in Many ways 'better'; but in all ways different. So... we have a foundation. Let us build on that so that I can get to know you again, and you can get to know me.

It should be very do-able since I believe we both want that..., friend.