Thursday, February 4, 2016

I Cry At Budweiser Commercials


Yes, I was looking over the 2016 Super Bowl commercials because it will probably be muted on the day and I may be distracted so I thought I’d catch up on what was hot in the media.
Having spent years, no decades in the industry, I appreciate the time and effort made to promote a brand or a product. The camera angles and the effects and the script, most importantly the script, can make a 30-second flash on the screen make you want to go out and buy a multi-thousand dollar vehicle.
The agencies that can accomplish this task are given award banquets and praised by their peers but the next day has to start all over again.
First you have to convince the client or manufacturer or creator of some new idea that YOU can promote it better than anyone else.
If the corporation or manufacturer or boardroom is somewhat smart, they will take bids on their new improvement to life and choose from the presentations. What are the best options for the choice?
Once you convince them to invest in your ‘creative idea’ to ‘grow’ their company, YOU have to perform and provide a successful campaign to bring in the eyes of the public and more important the cash.
Just like music, whatever the hook it, you only have a moment to catch the attention.
So I spend the afternoon, not practicing the guitar or doing other chores, watching the television Super Bowl commercials and ponder. Some are confusing. Some are certainly intended for another audience than me. Some are not very good and some make me laugh.
Then there is the Budweiser commercial.
I don’t drink Budweiser or Bud Lite but I know a lot do. I’ve gone through their rough and tumble manly commercials similar to Winston cigarettes for years but they have not swayed me to consume their product. There image is a icon like many other products and easily recognizable, but something changed.
Budweiser, no the advertising agency, decided to bring in the Clydesdale horses to the forefront. They were always part of the brand image pulling the beer wagon.
Suddenly they presented the horses as the lead character and it made a connection with the public. I don’t have the numbers of whether it increased sales, but I can assume it did because they kept going with that theme.
Then a few years back, they presented the dog. Now if you have ever seen any social media, a dog is a winner. The Budweiser brand had a Dalmatian on the wagon, just like a fire truck companion to the giant horses. It softened the look of two guys wheeling in a bunch of beer for the common folk.
Suddenly the dog became a puppy. A little golden lab that was to become friends with these massive horses and the flood banks flowed. I give credit to those guys for it is a trigger to open up the water works.
I can watch these commercials at any time on any day and still the tears come. You guys did a good job.
Sorry Anheuser-Busch I still don’t drink your product but your commercials get me every time.
Thanks.

No comments: