Thursday, March 22, 2018

Pilgrimage to the Tummy Temple




Most everyday I make the pilgrimage to the Tummy Temple for my latest spiritually in physical and secular renewal rewards to continue being alive.  The path is the same and started singularly but as I get closer I join other worshipers to what the Temple offers. There is a morning service and an afternoon service where the building becomes crowded but the rest of time the doors will open and welcomes anyone who enters. On some days the entrance becomes jammed as if everyone is starving. On other days the way is clear.
So the first day of spring and I saddle up for my pilgrimage. With more reports of automobile vs. human filling the news I wait an extra moment for I leave the woods with a greater sense I may not return. Today the sky is getting cloudy and there has been a steady but with a break in the weather before the snow, I cut my path shorter in hope of staying dry. There is a drizzle, a cold drizzle and a constant drizzle so I’m not soaked but damp.
Once inside I can wipe off and start my search for the ingredients to feed the family and myself for a couple of days.
The butcher is working hard carving carcasses and the baker is filling the oven with the sweet smell of rising dough. The panic hasn’t started but the lines are long.
Some seem to become impatient searching for a shorter line, but what is wrong with waiting in line? We wait in lines to board the plan and wait in lines to give our tickets at a concert and we wait in lines to get a photo taken to drive a car. With the introduction of intelligent communication devices, the congregation can check the scriptures for the latest deal. There was a time before scanners when the usher would have to punch in each item while trying to entertain the shopper. You could be in a hurry but it wasn’t going to happen any faster. Now no one speaks to the usher and just rushes to get out. Perhaps they are starving?
Going to the Tummy Temple used to be a pilgrimage. You dressed up neat in case you were to meet your neighbor and took your time talking to the butcher on the best cut of dead animal or trying the free samples while you had your coffee ground. The manager was always close by to assist and the usher called you by name.
After paying my tithe for my daily bread I scan the area fully aware of the distractions in these holy rollers and take my time with the rain dripping off my helmet. Thanks to the divine I made it home safe and sound. This is where the story takes a different turn.
Not dripping wet but dewy, I peel some of the layers off and cuddle under a blanket to dry and watch the news. I spend hour-after-hour scourer my electronic encyclopedia trying to find definitions or correct spelling.  Getting lost on offshoots and distracted by additional thoughts, the snow arrives and the empty bottles stack up and the clock moves on.
Finally at 4AM, I slide into my sleeping position not knowing what was about to come. My first wake up call came at the break of dawn, but something was different. I was soaking wet and my head was full of snot. It defiantly wasn’t time for a cup of coffee, so turn over for another nap. And this nap was cold to shivering followed by sneezing and runny eyes and nose. Then steamy hot again. No dreams tonight because there wasn’t enough time.
So the day was spent in bed tossing and turning and ashamed of myself for catching a cold. A few sip of water and another couple of blows and back under the covers. I don’t get sick very often and this one got me. Without any doctor to call or medicine in the cabinet, it was a wait out.
Finally today was a bit better but still it was 30 minutes awake and then back for another 2-hour nap. The fever had broken and a cup of coffee hit the spot but I wasn’t going out. The afternoon brought a desire for something to eat and that perked me up a bit. I did go out to feed my starving family for they came a running.
I’ll take it slowly for another evening in hopes that tomorrow I can stretch again and remember to keep my penance before another pilgrimage. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.