Sunday, March 11, 2018

Talking To Yourself


While I spend most of my day listening to others speak and never join in the conversation or talk to those who do not speak the same language; I find myself talking to myself. It is the most intelligent conversation I can have without causing an argument or a misnomer.
So yesterday I was watching daytime television (a rarity for me now) and noticed I was talking to the screen. Even with the sound turned down, a commercial would come on and I’d have to comment. Comment out loud to the animated images.
There used to be a game during college of turning off the sound and people would speak the parts of the television show’s characters. We were basically rewriting the script as the play was in process.
Having worked in advertising the constant stream of commercials have never impressed or persuaded me to buy a certain laundry detergent or this year’s model car. I appreciate the art of marketing in all of its different forms from politics to infomercials. They keep us up to date with fashion and create trends. Now and then one of the hucksters will catch my attention and I’ll foolishly spend on a dream. I still used those sharp knives but don’t have a Veg-O-matic.
So yesterday while waiting for the action I start talking to the commercials. The medicines named after Martian moons touting possible relief from everything from lack of energy to PTSD with a brief mention that it just might work or not and all the ingredients might make things even worse. If that doesn’t work the next commercial is for insurance promising total coverage but the small print says there are some qualifications to keep the promise. Every other commercial is for a car or truck speeding down an empty road or a dusty desert with smoke and spins like a Fast and Furious movie. Why aren’t their car commercials about backups on the highway? Then there are the fatty food commercials for shows about solving crimes or explosions or sports must have greasy cheez covered salty snacks rather than carrots, lettuce and cucumbers.
Maybe that is the speaker to my dreams and this writing?

No comments: