Sunday, December 2, 2012

BEEP?

-->
“Beep”

There it goes again.

“Beep”

About a month ago, I started hearing this “beep”. I thought it was one of the smoke detectors it took me month to put up. You know that sound when the battery is running out.

“Beep”

So I took the two smoke detectors down and outside into my shop where I keep the batteries.

“Beep”

But when I came back inside I heard it again.

“Beep”

Now you have to know that most rooms in this house are empty reading for painting. The television is unplugged, the stereo is unplugged, and the microwave is in the dining room after dismantling the kitchen.

“Beep”

So this morning I timed the “beep” sound. One “beep” every 30 minutes.  It is just one of the sounds echoing through the house. The clicks of the thermostat turning the furnace on and off, the tics of the clocks out of sequence, and the usual moans and groans of an aging house.

“Beep”

After a morning of drooling on my pillow and dreams of camping out with the president until his car broke down and he needed a new engine and we walked back to his office where they were fitting a new bed frame and I said, “Can’t you get someone to tow it? You ARE the President.” then having my usual Sunday routine of listening to “This American Life” about sacrificing animals or how they can make you sacrifice your life for them, riding the morning ride to the store to a chorus of lawnmowers and left blowers, watching construction workers and wondering if it really is Sunday, stopping for traffic and catch a better chorus of a tree filled with birds, and wonder why they show little pigs going to slaughter to become barbecue but never show the bloody butcher who performs the duty.

“Beep”

After surveying the rooms for any electronic that would “beep” every thirty minutes, I conclude it must be the microwave. After I moved it from the kitchen I did not reset the clock.

“Beep”

This morning I reset the clock.

“Beep”

When I go inside after feeding the yard and chasing off the black cat and watching football, will I hear “beep” again?

“Beep”

If so, where is it coming from?

“Beep”

Or is this just some other mystery I’ll have to live with?

1 comment:

TripleG said...

It's always something!