Saturday, December 14, 2019

Restaurants


My brother contacted me and said he’d be in town Monday for lunch, so I went looking for a restaurant.
No, I didn’t climb on my pony and wander around the neighborhood. It was raining, so I climbed on Google maps.
I was pretty sure what was available in the area for we have attended so many of them, but I wanted to see what was new.
In an area called ‘Scott’s Addition’ which seems to be the happening place, there is yet another brewery from an abandoned warehouse.
Without knowing what the ‘taste for the day’ might be, I check out all the familiar sites. Burgers, pizza, Greek, Thai, etc. also thinking about parking because he can’t just lock up to a light post like I can.
I have frequented many, if not most, dining establishments in this town so it appears there is little new to explore. Some of my favorites might be too lowbrow for my brother’s taste and some of the finer spots might make me wear a tie.
Now if you have just landed from outer space, a restaurant is a place you go to for someone (other than your mother) to cook food for you. You get to sit in a large room with many other people and have a stranger approach you asking if you would like something to drink?
Having just been seated and checking out the wall decorations and big screen television, we are compelled to answer so he/she can scurry off to pour libations into plastic cups returning moments later asking for our order.
If the menu is basic or you’ve been here before the choice doesn’t not require explanation. If not, it may take some time to get the orders and sides and variations for the cook to decipher.
Seems everyone wants a restaurant. If you think you can cook, then why not make it a business and cook for others and feel good filling the belly of your neighbors while making a living?
A restaurant is (if not) the worst occupation to attempt. No only is there the finicky taste of the public or the location or the traffic patterns or the health regulations and inspections, there is the crew of hiring minimum wage people who must perform the act of presenting the character of your restaurant.
I personally have never worked in a restaurant. I’ve never washed dishes. I’ve never waited on tables. I’ve never cooked and made a presentation that is quickly getting cold on a plate for another person who I’ve never seen.
I do have some experience.
My father ran a private club. A club is like a restaurant but a step above. Instead of patrons wandering in off the street to enjoy the atmosphere and cuisine, a club has members. A club member pays just to get into the door and expects exquisite service.
The kitchen is similar to every other restaurant, but higher standards are placed on presentation. The kitchen staff is finely organized and the service is outstanding. The gratuity is automatic without signing a check.
After a thorough search of the area, there are some options if he feels like wandering.
If not we hit a usual spot and enjoy the conversation for that is what it is all about.

No comments: