Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Alley Cruising

In my neighborhood, a spring, then summer ritual, is to watch pickup trucks cruise the alleys.

I think it is a sport, this alley cruising.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

So we put out things not needed or wanted anymore and the scavengers show up and remove the treasures before the city waste crew can remove it.

To me it is a donation to an unknown family, all for free.

The items may be repaired or sold or broken down and used for parts.

Inspirations for invention can used from what is scrap for others.

Televisions, refrigerators, stoves, and furniture have been placed in the alley.

The next day they disappear.

I'm satisfied with the results since I wanted it removed anyway.

Some see these people as rats stealing scraps, but I see them as opportunist who realized a great deal and with a little effort and exploration, can find treasures.

1 comment:

TripleG said...

Some of our neighbors put out really primo stuff but nobody has cruised by in years to re-use or re-sell it, which is a shame. Nancy and I have been dumpster-diving several times, getting items in perfectly good shape for Zach's house, or very good books for resale. I love to do it.